- April 1, 2020
- Posted by: Jason Dombrowski
Planning and Engineering Design of a New Near Surface Disposal Facility for Low-Level Radioactive Waste
Amentum provides planning and design services in accordance with the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) regulations to license a near-surface disposal facility at the Chalk River Laboratories, Ontario, Canada. Within nine months, produce a full suite of license documents (approximately 110 technical documents, 450 design drawings, calculations, and technical specifications) in compliance with a schedule including five review periods.
- The project is crucial to the planned demolition and decommissioning activities at the Chalk River Laboratories.
- Engineered with geosynthetic materials in the floor to prevent groundwater intrusion and provide safe isolation of waste. This innovative, multi-layered designed infrastructure will be capable of storing 1M cubic meters of low-level radioactive waste.
- Presented interim and final results to the client and CNSC.
- Provided a full-featured design including the Engineered Containment Mound, state-of-the-art Wastewater Treatment Plant, Support Facilities, and Support Infrastructure.
- Provided value engineering, optioneering, and a phasing design into the project.