Amentum Maintains Helicopter Transport for our Nation’s Leaders
The Joint Base Andrews Naval Air Facility Washington (JBA-NAFW) Helicopter Maintenance program is a world-class helicopter maintenance service requirement that supports the mission of the 316th Wing. The 316th Operations Group provides continuous rotary-wing contingency response capability to the National Capital Region (NCR) while simultaneously supporting regional and global customers with critical airfield infrastructure and aviation services. The group consists of two squadrons of highly skilled, experienced, and motivated aircrew and support personnel.
The 1st Helicopter Squadron executes the Air Force District of Washington’s only flying mission and conducts distinguished visitor airlift missions. The 1st Helicopter Squadron (1 HS) is the Air Force’s largest operational helicopter squadron. The 1 HS operates 22 UH-1N Iroquois “Huey” aircraft and provides contingency response in the NCR. We provide O-, I, and limited D-level maintenance. This high-profile mission demands 24/7/365 fleet readiness for alert aircraft. The squadron traces its helicopter heritage back to 1955, serving as the first Air Force rotary-wing squadron within the Washington, D.C. area. The unit’s primary mission is to maintain the capability to provide defense support to civilian authorities in the event of a disaster.
The 316th Operations Support Squadron supports the no-fail contingency airlift mission and provides aviation related services to joint customers and aircrew world-wide. The 316 Wing, as well as their customers, count on these services to provide world-class transportation services. We are also responsible for establishing a partnership/teamwork approach with the contracting Officer, 316th Operations Group Functional Commander, Contracting Officer Representatives, operations personnel, and other applicable contractors.
- Received the following ratings on our 2020 Contractor Performance Assessment Report (CPAR):
- Quality – Very Good
- Schedule – Exceptional
- Management – Very Good
- Small Business – Satisfactory
- Contract mission capable rate for 2020: actual 83.6 percent/standard 79.5 percent
- Local departure reliability rate for 2020: actual 98.5 percent/standard 90 percent
- Delayed discrepancy rate for 2020: actual 6.7 percent/standard 15 percent
- Maintenance scheduling effectiveness: actual 96.6 percent/standard 90 percent
- Fleet Avg to phase: actual 203.6 hrs./standard 190 hrs.
- Avg FMC aircraft rate: actual 16/standard >12
- Our customer feedback reflected a 98.4 met or exceeded standard confidence rate in the service provided to our customer.
- Our maintenance team rapidly adjusted to the COVID-19 environment with zero impact to operations that enabled the 1st helicopter Squadron to maintain immediate alert response posture in support of multiple USNORTHCOM tasked missions
- From Jan to Dec 2020 we launched and recovered 3,022 sorties supporting the unit with 5362.8 of flying hours.
- Received a Letter of Appreciation from the 316thOG/CC recognizing the hard work, professionalism, and mission dedication of our maintainers during the FY20 flying hour execution period.
- Shelton Lacy, our Helicopter Site Manager was inducted into the Order of the Heli. Mr. Lacy was unanimously voted into this very special group of hall-of-famers by the 1 HS committee members and he is so deserving of this honor!
- Amentum, under its legacy company DynCorp International (DI), is the first and only company to be awarded work for this fleet continuously through multiple competitions. The high-visibility nature of the JBA-NAFW Helicopter Maintenance program demands standards higher than other maintenance support contracts.
- The DI team at JB Andrews has earned the prestigious FAA Diamond award 19 years in a row.