- September 8, 2020
- Posted by: Dely_SM
UCOR Recognizes Small Businesses
The importance of small business subcontractors was on full display at the Amentum-led UCOR annual Small Business Awards breakfast on August 26th. The event was a hybrid celebration, with a small group of executives and representatives from the winning companies at a socially distanced gathering, while others watched the presentation over Zoom. This important event recognizes how small businesses support and advance the EM cleanup mission.
UCOR consistently exceeds the small business subcontracting goals set by the Department of Energy. Since 2011, UCOR has subcontracted nearly $1.5 billion of its work, with 82 percent of that going to small businesses. “We are so proud of these awardees,” said Freda Hopper Boyd, UCOR Small Business Program manager. “Each of them is a valued partner who plays a key role in our mission success.”
Ken Rueter, UCOR President and Chief Executive Officer, emphasized the importance of UCOR working in partnership with its small business subcontractors. “We depend on our subcontractors to help us achieve our commitments to DOE. Each of these awardees has proven their commitment to our mission time and again through exceptional support. By partnering with small businesses, we are a more diverse and innovative team. Their willingness to go above and beyond has allowed us to move the cleanup schedule ahead by four years.”
UCOR’s President and CEO Ken Rueter hosted the event, which honored the following companies:
• Small Business of the Year: Workspace Solutions Inc., Knoxville, Tennessee.
• Small Business of the Year: Tellico Electric Inc., Lenoir City, Tennessee.
• Small Disadvantaged Business of the Year: Steel Plate LLC/Knoxville Sheet Metal Works Inc., Knoxville, Tennessee.
• HUBZone Small Business of the Year: Street Legal Industries, Inc., Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
• Woman-Owned Small Business of the Year: Lynx Supply, Inc., Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
• Veteran-Owned Small Business of the Year: Southeast Equipment Sales, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
• Service-Disabled, Veteran-Owned Small Business of the Year: Premier Contracting & Technical Services Inc., Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
The seven recipients provide services ranging from infrastructure support to welding and metal fabrication to providing nuclear and industrial safety supplies. Each played a crucial role in UCOR’s drive to achieve Vision 2020.
A video from the event showcasing the recipients can be located here.
Learn more about the Amentum Small Business program here.